This Privacy Statement describes how Seagate Technology LLC or any parent, subsidiary or affiliate controlled by, under common control with, or controlling Seagate Technology LLC, including but not limited to affiliates operating under the LaCie name or brand, (collectively,“Seagate” or “we” or “us”) collects, uses, and shares information through the Seagate websites, which include but are not limited to Seagate.com, LaCie.com and their sub-domains (each a “Site), and the Seagate services, products and software available through the Sites (collectively, the “Offerings” under this Privacy Statement). Please remember that your use of our Sites and Offerings is at all times subject to the applicable Terms and Conditions that incorporate this Privacy Statement.
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual. We collect the following types of information through the Sites such as:
- Site user name
- Postal address
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Profile picture
- Social media account ID
- IP Address
- Your designated account settings
We collect and process these types of Personal Information to provide our services to you and as legally required. If you do not provide the information that we request, we may not be able to provide you with the full experiences of this Site and its services.
Collection of Personal Information
We collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through the Site.
- We collect Personal Information through our Sites, e.g., when you register for a Site account, respond to forms, surveys, sweepstakes, contests or applications, and through the use of various Offerings or participation in programs or services.
- Through Information You Provide.
- We may collect personal contact information (such as your name, email address, and telephone number) when you contact customer service, sign up for or purchase our Offerings.
- We may also collect Personal Information in connection with the return of products, warranty and product/consumer registration.
- From Other Sources.
- We receive your Personal Information from other sources, such as publicly available databases and joint marketing partners, when they share the information with us. We may allow you to share information with third party social media sites, or use social media sites or other sites to create or connect to your account. Those social media sites may give us access to certain Personal Information stored by them from your interaction with the online services (e.g. content viewed and information about the advertisements within the content you have been shown or may have clicked on, etc.). You may control the Personal Information you allow us to have access to through the privacy settings on that third party site and the permissions you give us when you grant us access.
Please be aware if you disclose any Personal Information relating to other people to us or to our service providers in connection with the Site, you represent that you have the permission to do so and to permit us to use the information in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
Use of Personal Information
We use Personal Information:
- To provide the functionality of the Site and its services and to fulfill your requests.
- To respond to your inquiries, fulfill your requests and provide you with related support.
- To send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions and policies.
- To determine the appropriate language for your site experience.
We engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you and/or to comply with a legal obligation.
- To provide you with marketing materials and to personalize your experience on the Site.
- To send marketing communications that we believe may be of interest with your consent.
- To personalize your experience on the Site by presenting products and offers tailored to you, and to facilitate social sharing functionality.
We engage in these activities either with your consent or for our legitimate business interests.
- To allow you to participate in sweepstakes and other promotions.
- To allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules containing information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information.
We engage in these activities either with your consent or to manage our contractual relationship with you.
- To accomplish our business purposes and analyze information.
- To aggregate and/or anonymize Personal Information.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products, enhancing, improving or modifying our Site, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
- To use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, diagnosing server problems and administering the Site. We can also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
We engage in these activities either to manage our contractual relationship with you, to comply with a legal obligation and/or based on our legitimate business interests.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We disclose Personal Information:
- To our affiliates for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement.
- To our third party service providers who provide services such as hardware repair and/or replacement, website hosting, data analysis, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing and other services.
- To third-party sponsors of sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions. We do not share Personal Information with unaffiliated third parties for those third parties’ own direct marketing purposes without your consent.
By you, through your Site profile and other information or content you may post or disclose through the Site in a public forum, or through your social media account.
- Please note that any information you post or disclose through the Site in areas such as a community forum will become public and available to other users and the general public.
Other Uses and Disclosures
We also use and disclose your Personal Information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate:
- To comply with applicable law and regulations.
- This may include laws and regulations outside your country of residence.
- To respond to requests from public and government authorities or to cooperate with law enforcement.
- This may include authorities outside your country of residence.
- For other legal reasons.
- For example, to enforce our Terms of Service or other agreements with you; and
- To protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others.
- In connection with a sale or business transaction.
- We have a legitimate interest to use, disclose or transfer your information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings). Such third parties may include, for example, an acquiring entity and its advisors.
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual.
- Browser and device information
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
- Information collected through use of our devices and other Offerings
- Demographic information and other information provided by you that does not reveal your specific identity
- Information that has been aggregated in a manner that it no longer reveals your specific identity
If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use and disclose it for the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information as detailed in this Policy.
Collection of Other Information
We and our service providers collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device.
- Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Mac), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Site functions properly.
- Through the use of our devices and other Offerings.
- For some of our consumer drives, we may collect drive performance information and general, statistical information about how you use our drives. We only collect this information if you download software Offerings and agree to our Terms and Conditions, End User License Agreement, and this privacy statement. We may also collect aggregate metadata concerning your files. We will use this aggregate data to enhance our products and services, and to improve our general marketing efforts related to these Offerings. We may aggregate data to describe the use of this Site and/or our Offerings to our existing and/or potential business partners, sponsors, advertisers or other third parties, or in response to a government request.
- Through Cloud-Based or Back-Up Data.
- If you use a Seagate cloud-based or back-up service Offering, the information from your device and/or account that you choose to back-up may be sent to Seagate or Seagate service providers for the purposes of storing this information for you, and we may use this information in order to facilitate or improve the use, remote access and restoration of that data on your device through the Offerings provided. For more information on our specific Offerings with cloud-based features, please review our supplemental statements found under Product Offerings below.
- Using cookies and similar technologies.
- When you visit the Site, we collect information automatically through your browser or device, through your use of the Site, or using cookies and similar technologies. Please refer to our Cookie Statementfor additional information about these practices.
- Google Analytics.
- Google ReCaptcha
- IP Address.
- Your IP address is automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider. An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Site(s), along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications and other services. We use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, diagnosing server problems and administering the Site(s). We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
Uses and Disclosures of Other Information
In some instances, we combine Other Information with Personal Information. If we do, we will treat the combined information as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
Seagate advertises on pages within our Sites and on other websites not affiliated with Seagate. We contract with advertising service providers who serve advertising to you through the use of technologies, such as cookies and other similar technologies.
We use advertising service providers to help us determine which of our advertisements are most likely to be of interest to you while you are on our Sites. These advertising service providers may use behavioral information, such as how you navigate our Sites, to provide relevant advertisements to you while you are on our Sites.
We also contract with advertising companies to advertise our Offerings on websites not affiliate with Seagate. If you click on one of our ads, you link to the third party website that offers the advertised account or Offerings. These ads may contain cookies and other similar technologies that allow tracking of your response to our advertisements. These technologies, along with information the advertising companies collect about your online use, are used to recognize you across the devices you use, such as a mobile phone and a laptop.
If you would like more information about this practice, and to learn how to opt out of it in desktop and mobile browsers on the particular device on which you are accessing this Privacy Statement, please visit http://optout.aboutads.info/#/ and http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#/. In order for the opt-outs to work on your computer, your browser must be set to accept cookies. If you delete cookies or access the Site from a different device, you will need to opt-out again. Please note that opting out of ad targeting does not opt you out from receiving general advertising.
Do Not Track
Our Offerings and Sites do not support “Do Not Track” requests at this time.
THIRD PARTY SERVICES
This Privacy Statement does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy, information or other practices of any third parties, including any third party operating any website or service to which the Site links. The inclusion of a link on the Site does not imply endorsement of the linked site or service by us or by our affiliates.
In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure, or security policies or practices of any third party social media platform provider or other organization, including with respect to any Personal Information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with the Site, such as by using third-party messaging services linked or integrated through the Site.
We have reasonable security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. Please be advised, however, that while we strive to protect your information, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you disclose or transmit to us online and cannot be responsible for the theft, destruction, or inadvertent disclosure of your information. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contact Us” section below.
CHOICES AND ACCESS
Your choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information
You may opt-out from:
- Receiving electronic communications from us. If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us, you may opt-out by either notifying us in accordance with the “Contact Us” section below or by clicking on the “Unsubscribe” link found in our marketing emails.
You may also manage your email preferences using our customer preferences center at http://e.seagate.com/customer-preference-center. We will comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages.
How you can access, change or remove your Personal Information
If you would like to request to access, correct, update, suppress, restrict or delete your Personal Information, or if you would like to request to receive an electronic copy of Personal Information that you have previously provided to us for purposes of transmitting it to another company (to the extent this right to data portability is provided to you by applicable law), you may send us your request as described in the “Contact Us” section below. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable law.
In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your Personal Information removed from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your Personal Information. For your protection, we will only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request within thirty (30) days or as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that we need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes, to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion, and/or for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims.
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained.
The criteria used to determine our retention periods include: (i) the length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide the Site or Offerings to you (for example, for as long as you have an account with us or keep using the Site or Offerings); (ii) whether there is a legal or business obligation to which we are subject (for example, certain laws require us to keep records of your transactions for a certain period of time before we can delete them); or (iii) whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard to applicable statutes of limitations regulatory investigations, or other legal matters).
USE OF SITE BY MINORS
This Site is not directed toward individuals under the age of eighteen (18). We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from individuals under 18.
JURISDICTION AND CROSS-BORDER TRANSFER
Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers. Please be aware that, when you use the Site or Offerings, we transfer information, through the course of regular business operations, to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country. In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies or security authorities in those other countries may be entitled to access your Personal Information.
Some of the non-EEA countries are recognized by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of data protection according to EEA standards (the full list of these countries is available here). For transfers from the EEA to countries not considered adequate by the European Commission, we have put in place adequate measures, such as standard contractual clauses adopted by the European Commission to protect your Personal Information. You may obtain a copy of these measures by contacting us as described in the “Contact Us” section below.
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Site or otherwise to us.
For additional information regarding specific Offerings, please select from the list below:
UPDATES TO THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
We may update this Privacy Statement from time to time. If so, we will post our updated Privacy Statement on our Site along with a change notice on the Site prior to a material change. The “Last Updated” legend at the bottom of this Privacy Statement indicates when this Privacy Statement was last revised. We may also send registered users of our Site a notice that this Privacy Statement has been materially changed. We encourage you to review this Privacy Statement regularly for any changes. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised Privacy Statement on the Site, and your use of the Site following these changes means that you accept the revised Privacy Statement.
Seagate Technology LLC or an affiliate controlled by, under common control with, or controlling Seagate Technology LLC, including but not limited to affiliates operating under the LaCie name or brand is located at
Seagate Technology LLC
10200 South De Anza Boulevard
Cupertino, California 95014
If you have questions about this Privacy Statement, please contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Seagate Technology LLC
Attn: Legal Department – Global Privacy
10200 South De Anza Boulevard
Cupertino, California 95014
If you live in Germany, you may contact our Data Protection Officer in Germany:
Dr. Sebastian Kraska
You may lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority competent for your country or region, or where an alleged infringement of applicable data protection law occurs. Please click here for contact information for such authorities in the EEA.
We will also keep prior versions of this Privacy Statement in an archive for your review here:
– Seagate Privacy Statement – 04/24/2018 (PDF)
– Seagate Privacy Statement – 12/10/2017 (PDF)
– Seagate Privacy Statement – 05/05/2017 (PDF)
– Seagate Privacy Statement – 08/03/2015 (PDF)
– Seagate Privacy Statement – 05/07/2015 (PDF)
– Seagate Privacy Statement – 04/10/2012 (PDF)
– Seagate Privacy Statement – 03/29/2007 (PDF)
Last updated: May 10, 2018