Rescue Plan Terms and Conditions
SEAGATE® RESCUE SERVICE PLAN
SOLD TO YOU DIRECTLY BY SEAGATE
Terms & Conditions
IMPORTANT: EQUIPMENT WITH PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS ARE NOT COVERED BY THIS PLAN. IF THE EQUIPMENT HAS A PRE- EXISTING CONDITION, PLEASE CONTACT THE ADMINISTRATOR IMMEDIATELY FOR A FULL REFUND OF ANY/ALL SERVICE PLAN FEES PAID BY YOU. REFER TO THE “WHAT IS NOT COVERED” SECTION FOR A LIST OF FULL EXCLUSIONS.
CONGRATULATIONS! Thank You for Your recent purchase of the SEAGATE® RESCUE Service Plan (the “Service Plan” or “Plan”). We hope You enjoy the added comfort and protection this Service Plan provides. By purchasing this Service Plan, You agree that these terms and conditions govern any service or benefit offered or attempted under this Service Plan. Please keep these Service Plan terms and conditions in a safe place along with the sales receipt/invoice that You received when You purchased this Service Plan and the original receipt for Your Equipment purchase, as You will need them to verify Your coverage at the time of service. This information will serve as a valuable reference guide and will help You determine what is covered by this Service Plan. From the day You purchase this Service Plan, We or Our authorized representatives, will assist You in understanding Your Service Plan benefits.
KEY TERMS: Throughout these Service Plan terms and conditions, the words “We”, “Us” and “Our” mean the party or parties obligated to provide service under this Service Plan, who is Seagate Technology, LLC, 10200 S De Anza Blvd, Cupertino, CA 95014, USA. “You” and “Your” refer to the purchaser of the Equipment covered by this Service Plan, or to the person to whom this Service Plan was properly transferred. “Administrator” means the entity that is appointed by and/or contracted by Us to render certain data recovery services to You under this Service Plan. In the U.S. and Canada except for California, the Administrator is After, Inc., PO Box 451, Norwalk, CT 06852-0451, 1-888-240-9769. In California, the Administrator is After Solutions, PO Box 451, Norwalk, CT 06852-0451, 1-888-240-9769. For all other countries the Administrator is Seagate Technology, LLC, 10200 De Anza Blvd, Cupertino, CA 95014, 800-475-0143. “Service Plan Purchase Price” means the amount paid by You for this Service Plan; excluding any taxes and/or fees where applicable, as evidenced on Your Service Plan sales receipt. “Equipment” means the solid state drive (SSD), hard disk drive (HDD), multi-drive/device storage box, laptop or desktop computer, mobile phone, tablet, camera, drone, surveillance system (Personal Video Recorder, Digital Video Recorder), XBOX console, external hard drive or the SD Card, MicroSD, CompactFlash, memory stick, thumb drive, DVD, or other removable data storage device which You purchased and which stores the data that is covered by this Service Plan. Coverage is limited to a single data storage/memory drive/device per Service Plan as designated through the registration of Equipment at the time of Service Plan registration, unless You have purchased a “Family Plan” under which You can cover up to five (5) Equipment items in Your residential household with a single Plan. Family Plans are available only for residential customers. “OEM” refers to the Original Equipment Manufacturer of Your covered Equipment. “Pre-Existing Condition” means an issue that existed with Your Equipment prior to the issuance of this Service Plan. The last time stamp on the data written to or erased from the Equipment must be later than the date You purchased this Plan as evidence that there was no Pre-Existing Condition. IMPORTANT NOTE: ANY AND ALL PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR COVERAGE UNDER THIS SERVICE PLAN. You may also contact the Administrator for assistance in determining whether Your media storage device is eligible for coverage.
PRODUCT ELIGIBILITY: This plan can only be utilized for Equipment matching the type of Equipment and price band that appears on the receipt of Plan purchase, either in plain print or in the coding of the SKU number. Equipment eligible for coverage under this Service Plan must be purchased as new or factory-refurbished, which at the time of purchase included a manufacturer’s original or factory-refurbished warranty). This plan covers the data stored on Your Equipment. For a full list of exclusions from coverage, see the Section “WHAT IS NOT COVERED”. In the event You inadvertently purchase a Service Plan for Equipment not eligible for coverage, We will provide You with a full refund of the Service Plan purchase price and coverage shall be deemed null and void. Accessories and/or add-on options purchased separately and not essential to the basic function of the Equipment are not eligible for coverage.
SERVICES PROVIDED: We agree to have services performed that are designed to retrieve, while minimizing the damage to, the media files and/or data on Your Equipment in the event Your Equipment fails to perform during the term of this Service Plan. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE EQUIPMENT MAY BE DAMAGED PRIOR TO OUR RECEIPT, AND YOU FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGE THAT OUR EFFORTS TO COMPLETE THE SERVICES MAY RESULT IN FURTHER DAMAGE TO OR THE DESTRUCTION OF THE EQUIPMENT WHICH MAY VOID THE EQUIPMENT OEM WARRANTY IF THE EQUIPMENT IS NOT A SEAGATE® DEVICE. To the extent possible, You should back up accessible data on Your Equipment before submitting it for service under this Service Plan. If the damage sustained to Your original Equipment is covered by the OEM warranty, then the OEM is responsible for providing You with a replacement device in accordance with the terms of the OEM warranty. In such instances, You have the opportunity to transfer the remaining coverage term under this Service Plan to that replacement device if You do not utilize the Services available under this Plan.IMPORTANT: Any services performed under this Service Plan is not a guarantee that lost data will be recovered; however, all reasonable efforts will be used to recover Your data through methods further explained below.
Under this Service Plan, Your Equipment is eligible for one (1) In-Lab Data Recovery attempt during the term of coverage and pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Service Plan, unless You purchased the Family Plan, in which case Your Equipment is eligible for two (2) In-Lab Data Recovery attempts. This Service Plan does not provide coverage for any of the losses set forth in the section titled “WHAT IS NOT COVERED”.
IN-LAB DATA RECOVERY: You will be asked to ship Your Equipment, or, if the data storage component of Your Equipment is removable to ship only the data storage component to Our designated laboratory facility to attempt the retrieval of Your data (“In-Lab Data Recovery”). When You ship Your Equipment to the laboratory facility, You must use packaging that provides protection for Your Equipment or the data storage component of Your Equipment to prevent any further damage during shipping. You are responsible for any risk of loss of the Equipment or the data storage component until it is received at the designated laboratory facility. For more information please contact the Administrator. In the U. S., Canada, and the EU, We will pay the shipping costs associated with shipping Your Equipment or the data storage component of Your Equipment to the designated laboratory facility, as well as the cost of shipping Your original Equipment and/or any other data storage media
containing data recovered from Your original Equipment back to You, if any. In all other countries and regions, We may cover part or all of the related shipping costs; please contact the Administrator for more details. Upon receipt of Your original Equipment or the data storage component of Your Equipment at the designated laboratory facility, We will take the following action(s):
- RECOVERY EFFORT: We will attempt to recover Your lost data and files.
- RETURN OF RECOVERED DATA: Your recovered data (if any) may either be, at Our sole discretion, loaded on a media storage deviceor into a cloud-based data storage location from which Your recovered data will be available to You for sixty (60) days. If We elect to return Your data via a cloud-based data storage location, You may request the data be returned on a physical media storage device, though some charges may apply for the cost of the storage device in this scenario. If We choose, in Our sole discretion, to return the data to You on a media storage device rather than in a cloud-based data storage location, then there will be no charge for the media storage device in this scenario.
- ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT RETURN: If You so request at the time of making the initial data recovery claim, We will return the original Equipment You send to Us back to You. NOTE: Data recovery efforts utilized during the In-Lab Data Recovery Service may render the original Equipment inoperable.
- SOFTWARE INSTALLATION: You may need to reinstall Your software to Your Equipment. Installation or re-installation of any and all software shall be Your responsibility and is not covered under this Service Plan.
- DISPOSAL OF YOUR DEFECTIVE EQUIPMENT: Because data recovery efforts utilizing the In-Lab Data Recovery Service typically renders Your Equipment or the data storage component of Your Equipment inoperable, the Equipment You send to Us will be subject to secure disposal following an In-Lab Data Recovery attempt, unless You request that We return the inoperable original Equipment back to You at the time of making the initial data recovery claim. To the extent possible You should back up accessible data on the
Equipment before shipping it to Our laboratory facility for an In-Lab Data Recovery attempt.
UNRECOVERABLE DATA: In some cases Your data may not be recoverable. In such instances, You will be entitled to reimbursement of the purchase price of this Service Plan; which may be in the form of a retail gift card, at Our sole discretion, and We shall then be discharged from any further obligations under this Service Plan (the “Unrecoverable Data Reimbursement”), unless You have purchased the Family Plan under which You are entitled to a second data recovery attempt on one of Your other Equipment items. The Unrecoverable Data Reimbursement shall NOT apply in instances where partial recovery of Your lost data was successful; there must be a complete loss and non-recovery of data from Your Equipment to be eligible.
WHAT TO DO IF YOUR EQUIPMENT REQUIRES SERVICE: Contact the Administrator and explain the problem. You will be instructed on the next steps for filing a claim under this Service Plan. For faster service, please have Your dated proof of purchase (sales receipts) and Service Plan number available when You place the call. You may be required to provide a copy of Your proof of purchase for Your Service Plan (sales receipt) at time of service. NOTE: THIS SERVICE PLAN MAY PROVIDE NO COVERAGE IF YOU MAKE UNAUTHORIZED ATTEMPTS TO RETRIEVE THE DAMAGED OR LOSTDATA (SEE “WHAT IS NOT COVERED” BELOW). Service will be provided during normal business hours only (9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.
TERM OF COVERAGE: Coverage under this Service Plan begins on the date of Service Plan purchase and continues for the period of time specified onYourServicePlansalesreceipt;subjecttothetermsandconditionsstatedherein. InthecaseofYourEquipmentbeingaSeagate®productthat includes Seagate® data recovery as part of its manufacturer’s warranty, the coverage under this Service Plan will begin on the date the Seagate®product warranty ends.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY:
The following clause applies to the maximum extent permitted by the applicable law. Neither We nor the Administrator nor the Retailer shall be liable for any harm caused to Your Equipment (unless proven that such harm was caused intentionally); including any consequential voidance of an OEM warranty resulting from services performed on Your Equipment in accordance with the terms and conditions outlined in this Service Plan. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, We will not be liable for the condition, existence, or loss of the data You send Us or the data We recover (if any), any loss of revenue or loss of profits, or any indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages however caused. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, this limitation shall apply to any and all damages, regardless of the legal theory on which they are asserted (including, without limitation, contract, breach of contract, and tort), and regardless of whether We have been advised of the possibility of loss or damages – unless You prove that We caused damages to You intentionally.
This Service Plan shall be considered fulfilled in its entirety, and We shall be discharged from any further obligations under this Service Plan, in the event We have rendered service for one (1) claim for the In-Lab Data Recovery Service, or in the case of a Family Plan, two (2) claims for the In-Lab Data Recovery Service.
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Our maximum liability in connection with all claims processed pursuant to the terms andconditions of this Service Plan shall not exceed the MSRP of the covered Equipment (the “Maximum Liability Limit”) or replacement of the covered Equipment; whichever is lower. In the case of the Family Plan, Our maximum liability shall not exceed the MSRP of the two items of coveredEquipment for which claims were made (“Family Plan Maximum Liability Limit”) or replacement of those same two items of covered Equipment; whichever is lower. In the event the aggregate sum of all claims processed under this Service Plan equals the Maximum Liability Limit (or in the case of the Family Plan, the Family Plan Maximum Liability Limit) or if We replace Your Equipment for any reason, Our obligations under this Service Plan shall be considered fulfilled in their entirety and We shall have no further obligation to service the Equipment (original or replacement piece) under this Service Plan. In no event will We or the Administrator be liable for any damages whatsoever that are in excess of the Maximum Liability Limit (or Family Plan Maximum Liability Limit as applicable), whether based on contract, tort, warranty or other legal or equitable ground, including without limitation damages for loss of data, property damage, lost time, loss of business profits, business interruption, or other pecuniary loss, or SGT-DIR-OOBE-GLBL (02-15-17)
incidental, consequential or indirect damages arising from the services performed pursuant to this Service Plan. This limitation will apply even if We, the Administrator or any of Our respective authorized entities, affiliates, dealers, agents, suppliers, or representatives have been advised of the possibility of such damage. By requesting the services described in this Service Plan You acknowledge that the charges reflect this limitation of liability and allocation of risk.
WHAT IS NOT COVERED:
- This Service Plan does not provide coverage for attempted data recovery, loss or damage to Your Equipment caused by or resulting from any of the following, unless otherwise explicitly stated below:
- Pre-Existing Conditions;
- Mechanical, electrical or operational breakdown of Your Equipment – OUR LIABILITY IS SOLELY LIMITED TO THE RECOVERYATTEMPT OF YOUR LOST OR DAMAGED DATA, AND WE SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR REPAIRING OR REPLACING YOUR ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT, ALTHOUGH IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO STORE RETRIEVED DATA ON A COMPARABLE MEDIA DEVICE;
- Collision with or explosion of another object;
- Unauthorized repairs, improper installation or attachments or transportation damage;
- Lack of manufacturer specified maintenance or improper equipment modifications; and
- Vandalism, animal or insect infestation, rust, dust, corrosion, defective batteries, battery leakage, or acts of nature or anyother external peril originating from outside the Equipment.
- This Service Plan does not provide coverage for any of the following equipment, products, or equipment components:
- Equipment that is network-attached storage or multi-drive storage capable of housing more than ten (10) hard drives;
- Equipment used in a data center, server farm, storage farm, storage cloud, cloud storage, computing cluster, storage cluster orstorage area network (SAN);
- Equipment sold without a manufacturer’s/retail warranty or sold “as is;”
- Equipment utilized in a manner that is inconsistent with either the design of the Equipment or the way the OEM intended theEquipment to be used;
- Components not contained with the housings of the Equipment;
- Equipment with removed or altered serial numbers;
- Any gaming consoles other than XBOX consoles
- Public rental equipment or products used in communal settings (use of Equipment for these purposes will cause this ServicePlan to provide no coverage); and
- If Equipment covered by Plan is REMOVEABLE FLASH MEMORY, this Plan does not cover any flash data storage devices thatare fully not removable from the device in which it is contained for the collection of data or any Solid State Drive or Hard DiscDrive storage devices.
- If Equipment covered by Plan is a TABLET OR MOBILE PHONE, this Plan does not cover any Solid State Drive or Hard Disc Drivestorage devices.
- If Equipment covered by Plan holds more than one (1) data storage/memory drive/device, this plan only covers the datarecovery of one (1) data storage/memory drive/device.
- This Service Plan does not provide coverage for any of the following costs, expenses or services:
- Data recovery services when such are covered by manufacturer’s recall; manufacturer’s factory bulletins; insurance; oranother service agreement;
- Cleaning, preventative maintenance, or customer education expenses related to the Equipment, or any resultant damagecaused by such;
- Service required as a result of any alteration of the Equipment, or repairs made by anyone other than a servicer authorizedby Us, or the use of supplies other than those recommended by the manufacturer;
- Liability or damage to property, or injury or death to any person arising out of the operation, maintenance or use of theEquipment;
- Expenses incurred from the dismantling or reinstallation of fixed infrastructure when removing Your Equipment from, orinstalling an alternate media device into, a custom installation;
- Any perceived or actual monetary value associated with lost data, except to the extent covered under this Service Plan;
- Repairs to or replacements of any tangible equipment or property; and
- Indemnification or payment for damages to any property caused by or arising from fortuitous events.
OUR RIGHT TO RECOVER EXPENSES: If You have a right to recover against another party for any expenses We have incurred to perform the Services under this Service Plan, Your rights shall become Our rights. You shall do whatever is necessary to enable Us to enforce these rights.
CANCELLATION: You may cancel this Service Plan by informing the Administrator of Your cancellation request within 30 days of the purchase of the Service Plan and You will receive a 100% refund of the Your Service Plan Purchase Price paid by You, provided no claims have been paid or performed. If Your cancellation request is made more than 30 days from the date of purchase of this Service Plan, or if You have a Family Plan and a claim has been paid or performed within the first 30 days, You will receive a pro-rata refund of Your Service Plan Purchase Price paid by You, minus any claims paid or performed by Us. This Service Plan shall be considered fulfilled in its entirety, and We shall be discharged from any further obligations under this Service Plan, in the event We have rendered service for one (1) claim for the In-Lab Data Recovery Service, or in the case of a
Family Plan, two (2) claims for the In-Lab Data Recovery Service. When applicable, You shall be entitled to the Unrecoverable Data Reimbursementoutlined in the “SERVICES PROVIDED – UNRECOVERABLE DATA” section.
If We cancel this Service Plan, We may only cancel for the following reasons: 1) non-payment of the Service Plan fee; 2) material misrepresentation by You to Us; or 3) a substantial breach of duties by You under this Service Plan in relation to the covered Equipment or its use. Additionally, We must provide You written notice at least 15 days prior to the effective date of cancellation; such notice will be sent to Your current email address in Our file (or physical address if necessary, as decided by Us), with the effective date of cancellation and reason for cancellation. If We cancel this Service Plan, You will receive a refund based upon one-hundred percent (100%) of the unearned pro-rata Service Plan Purchase Price paid by You.
DISPUTE RESOLUTION: Most disputes or disagreements between You and Us arising under this Plan can be resolved quickly by contacting theAdministrator in writing at the address noted under “KEY TERMS” above. The parties will attempt to resolve any dispute arising out of or related to these Program Terms or any data recovery services requested or attempted hereunder through good faith negotiation.
The following clause applies to the maximum extent permitted by the applicable law. In the unlikely event We are unable to resolve a dispute We have with You after attempting to do so informally, You and We agree to resolve such disputes through final and binding arbitration. Each party will bear its own costs in arbitration, provided that We reserve the right, in Our discretion, to pre-pay certain fees You may incur in connection with the arbitration subject to refund if You do not prevail. Both parties waive their rights to a jury trial.
IMPORTANT CONSUMER INFORMATION: If Your Equipment is exchanged by the OEM or Retailer, You should advise the Administrator as soon as practicable the make, model, and serial number of the exchanged product. You can do this by either calling or by writing to the Administrator. Please note that in the event of such exchange, the term of Your originally purchased Service Plan remains in effect and does not automatically extend.
RENEWABILITY: If You wish to renew coverage under this Service Plan, please contact the Administrator prior to the expiration of Your current Term to initiate Our renewal process. Renewability is determined at Our sole discretion and may not be available.
TRANSFERS: If You wish to transfer coverage under this Service Plan to a different owner or a replacement device which may have been provided by the OEM, please contact the Administrator to initiate Our transfer process. Subject to the applicable law, transferability is determined at Our sole discretion and may not be available. The CANCELLATION provisions apply to the original purchaser of this Service Plan only.
LEGAL RIGHTS; INDEMNITY: The following clause applies to the maximum extent permitted by the applicable law. You warrant that You are the legal owner or the authorized representative of owner of the Equipment and data submitted to Administrator or Us for service under this Service Plan. You warrant that the data on the Equipment is legal and that You have the unrestricted legal right to (a) grant access to the data, (b) have the data recovered and reproduced on a backup medium, (c) receive the recovered data, and (d) agree to these Service Plan Terms. You will defend, indemnify, and hold Us and the Administrator (including the directors, officers, employees, agents, delegates, and contractors of Us and of the Administrator, respectively) harmless from any claims or actions relating to the Equipment or data, or Your rights or lack of rights thereto.
COMPLIANCE WITH LAWS: You agree to comply with all such laws and regulations and all other applicable laws, statutes, ordinances and regulations relating to the use of recovered media or data on Your Equipment. You acknowledge that a violation of the terms and conditions of this section could subject You to criminal or civil penalties. The media files or data licensed or provided, or services provided, under this program, which may include technology and software, are subject to the customs and export control laws and regulations of the U.S. and may also be subject to the customs and export laws and regulations of the country in which Your Equipment is manufactured or received. Further, under U.S. law, such goods may not be sold, leased or otherwise transferred to restricted countries, or used by a restricted end-user or an end-user engaged in activities related to weapons of mass destruction including, without limitation, activities related to designing, developing, producing or using nuclear weapons, materials, or facilities, missiles or supporting missile projects, or chemical or biological weapons. You warrant You are not a restricted end-user or involved in any of the restricted activities described above, and that You will comply with and abide by these laws and regulations. We reserve the right to refuse service for, or return back to You, any Equipment that has been determined to violate any law or regulations.
CONFIDENTIALITY OF YOUR DATA: We will use any information provided by You only for the purposes of fulfilling Our obligations under this Service Plan and will use Our best efforts to hold Your information in the strictest confidence while it is in Our possession, unless otherwise required by law or directed by law enforcement officials.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS AND GUARANTEES: WE PROVIDE THIS SERVICE PLAN AND ANY SERVICES PROVIDED ORATTEMPTED HEREUNDER “AS IS,” WITH ALL FAULTS, AT YOUR SOLE RISK. WE DO NOT EXTEND ANY EXPRESS WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS, CONDITIONS OR GUARANTEES REGARDING THIS SERVICE PLAN OR ANY RESULTS THEREOF. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW AND SUBJECT TO ANY STATUTORY WARRANTIES THAT CANNOT BE EXCLUDED, WE EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF MERCHANTABILITY, WARRANTY OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR WARRANTY OF ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS WITH RESPECT TO THIS SERVICE PLAN.
ENTIRE AGREEMENT: This Service Plan; including the terms, conditions, limitations, exceptions and exclusions, and the sales receipt for Your Product, constitute the entire agreement between Us and You and no representation, promise or condition not contained herein shall modify these items, except as required by law.
THIS AGREEMENT IS NOT A SERVICE CONTRACT OR AN INSURANCE POLICY, CERTIFICATE OR CONTRACT. THIS AGREEMENT DOES NOT PROVIDE (A) REPAIRS TO OR REPLACEMENTS OF ANY TANGIBLE EQUIPMENT OR PROPERTY; WHETHER OR NOT SUCH DAMAGES ARISE
FROM A MANUFACTURER DEFECT OR NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR, OR (B) INDEMNIFICATION OR PAYMENT FOR DAMAGES TO ANY PROPERTY CAUSED BY OR ARISING FROM FORTUITOUS EVENTS.